Thursday, March 14, 2013

Great recipe! Enjoy!!

Reposting from a blog I read.  She is going through her Southern Living cookbook and let me tell you, I am reaping the benifits!!  This was WONDERFUL!!!!!  See the bottom for some changes I made.  Original recipe is below!  Make it...you won't regret it!!

 

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole




This picture may not look like much but I made this tonight and it was one of the BEST things I have made in FOREVER!!! It was SOOOOOOO good! I would really reccommend it. And it makes enough for two casseroles so we ate one and I am freezing one which is REALLY great!

Ingredients:

2 (6.2 oz) pkgs fast cooking long grain and wild rice mix
1/4 cup butter
4 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 (8 oz) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
5 cups chopped cooked chicken
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 16 oz sour cream
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups soft breadcrumbs (homemade)
1 2.25 oz pkg sliced almonds, toasted (I left these out)

Prepare rice mixes according to the package.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion. Saute 10 minutes or until tender.

Combine water chestnuts, cooked rice, celery and onion, chicken, 3 cups cheese and next 5 ingredients in a very large bowl.

Spoon mixture into a lightly greased baking dish. (or divide between two casserole dishes). Top with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and almonds and bake 5 more minutes.
 
(What I did - forgot the milk, used 1 8-oz sour cream, used Ritz crackers instead of breakcrumbs, used Fat Free cream of mushroom. - no matter which you choose...it will be wonderful!!)

1 comment:

Mrs. Jenk said...

Hi! I finally sat down and read through your blog after comments over at Journey with the Jenks. We do live similar lives! Your little girl is precious.