Monday, July 18, 2011

How we found out and told our good news...the truth!

I am linking up with Kelly's Korner this week.  This is a blog that I follow and she has a "Show us your life" Friday that never participate in until now. 

This weeks SUYL topic is how did you share your good news about bring pregnant to your husband/family/friends.

If you know us well, you know what all we went through to get Miss "V".  Two failed IVF's and 4 years of shots, meds, and raging hormones.

On Oct. 8, 2009 (Thursday), I had the FET (fetal embryo transfer) to put 2 embryo's in and hoped they would stick. We would have the blood test to test HCG levels on Sat. morning.  I took off work to just let them work their magic and I stayed in bed for 5 days ( I put myself on bed rest).  I went back to work on that Tuesday and all day long I kept telling my aide that I just didn't feel right.  My side was hurting (down low).  I tried not to think too much of it because it was just going to mean another disappointment.  On the way home, I stopped off at the store to get a few things and decided to pick up a pregnancy test just to see.  I had always taken tests after each IVF (though I never told Artie I did).  I had to be a little prepared for the answer.  So, I always kind of knew before I got the results back...hoping the answer would change.
I got home from the store and put all the things away and decided to take a test just to see.  I knew it was going to be negative because it always was.  I no longer had put that stick on the counter when this popped up! 

I PANICKED!!!!  Where was the word NOT on the stick.  I lost my ever lovin' mind.  Of course, this was going to be the day that Artie was not going to be home until late.  I called my mother in a nearly crying voice to ask her if you can get a false positive.  Of course, she had a million questions.  One being "Why are you taking  a test...your blood test is not until Sat."  I finally got off the phone with her and called Winonah my sister in law who is a nurse.  She told he what I needed to hear..."You can never have a false positive...one a false negative."  Now I was freaking out.  Not that this isn't want I wanted...it just has never turned out the way we wanted.  I still had doubts that it was true (do you blame me??).  I hit the local CVS and bought 4 more tests.  All positive.  I then get the hair brained idea that I need to call my fertility dr. and see what in the world I am suppose to do with this information.  Nicki - who is one of the nurses at CAR ( my fertility home away from home) just started laughing at me over the phone.  She said, "Now you know you are not suppose to do that already."  I said, "Too bad...damage has already been done.  Now what do I do with this information?"  Nothing...do nothing until Sat. when we confirm.  YIKES.  If you know me at all, I hate surprises, hate to keep good news a secret (especially one like this) and just have a problem telling all my info.  So this must be kept a secret until confirmed....FINE!!! 
But, Artie does get to know.  I tried to think of the best way to do it.  With him coming home soon...I didn't have a lot of options.  I decided to put all the tests on his dresser (don't worry I made sure all areas were sanitized before, during and after).  He finally came home from Marshall and headed strait to the bedroom for his dresser to unload his pockets.  I stayed in the living room to not give anything away.  He yells in the other room at me, "What are all of these?"  I told him they were mine and his face just melted.  The biggest smile came over his face and he said, "I knew it was gonna work."  We hugged and I was already a basket case so I started crying (again).  I had to recap the whole crazy story for him that evening.
I went back to work the whole week and never said a word.  I knew the nurse was right...just wait.
Sat. 9:15 AM - went to dr. to confirm with blood test.  Of course their machine was broken, so they didn't call us until the afternoon.  I know so many of you were waiting for that call.  I am so glad we could share that moment with you. 
**Found out that hurting in my side was Miss "V" implanting herself for the 9 month ride!
So there is the truth...I did know a little before the blood test that Sat.  Don't be mad at me.  I did want to make sure before we told everyone!  Man...that was a LONG week. 

No comments: